The average water pump replacement cost is between $250 and $1500, depending on the car model and labor costs. The average price for parts is $150 to 700 and the average labor cost is $100 to $800
- There are other repairs recommended doing at the same time as the water pump replacement on some car models.
Average Water Pump Replacement Cost
|Low: $300||Average: $500||High: $1500|
Average Replacement Cost by Car Model
These are the average water pump replacement cost by car model and year model with the most common engine types. You can have another engine type in your car, which might give you a completely different price.
|Car Model||Part Cost||Labor Cost||Total Cost|
Parts Needed for a water pump replacement
There are also some parts that you need to keep in mind before you can calculate the water pump replacement cost. Some parts are required for a successful install, while others are either optional or preferred. Check a repair manual to find the exact parts you need to calculate the water pump replacement cost.
|Part Name||Required?||All Models?|
|Water Pump Gasket||Yes||Yes|
|Timing belt pulleys||Optional||No|
|Serpentine belt pulleys||Optional||No|
|Replacement Type||Price Range|
|Timing Belt Replacement Cost||$400 – $1500|
|Timing Chain Replacement Cost||$500 – $2000|
|Coolant Replacement||$50 to $150|
|Serpentine Belt Replacement||$50 to $200|
A Mechanic’s Tips about water pump replacement
- Always fill up your car with a new coolant after the water pump replacement if you haven’t changed it for a while.
- If your water pump is driven by the timing belt or timing chain, it may be a good time to replace them. If you do so, I recommend replacing all necessary parts at the same time.
- Ensure that you bleed your coolant system after the water pump replacement, or your car might overheat and get damaged. I do recommend using a vacuum coolant bleeder. A failed bleeding can result in hot spots in the car’s cooling system, which can result in severe damages to your engine if you are unlucky.
- Never begin a water pump replacement before you are 100% sure that the car’s coolant is cold; otherwise, it can result in injuries as the car’s coolant can reach boiling temperatures
What is a water pump?
The water pump is driven by either the serpentine belt, timing belt, or the timing chain. It is pumping water from the engine to the coolant in the front of your car to keep your engine at a steady temperature.
How serious is a water pump failure?
A water pump failure is hazardous for your engine. If your water pump does not function properly, it can cause your engine to overheat and seize up. It is especially dangerous if your water pump is driven by the timing belt or timing chain.
How often do water pumps need replacement?
This depends on your car model. Most car models do not have a special replacement schedule for the water pump. If your water pump is driven by the timing belt or timing chain, it should often be replaced at the same time as your timing belt or chain.
How do you know if the Water pump is bad?
The most common signs of a bad water pump are coolant leaks or a high noise from your car engine. Learn more about the symptoms of a bad water pump.
OBD codes associated with a water pump replacement
|P2181: Cooling System Performance|
|P0217: Engine Overheat Condition|