The average replacement cost of a water pump is between 250$ to 1500$
- The average price for parts is 150$ to 700$
- The average labor cost is 100$ to 800$
- There are other repairs recommended doing at the same time as the water pump replacement on some car models.
Average Water Pump Replacement Cost
|Low: 300$||Average: 500$||High: 1500$|
Average Replacement Cost by Car Model
These are the average replacement cost by car model and year model with the most common engine types. You can have another engine type in your car, which might give you a completely different price.
|Car Model||Part Cost||Labor Cost||Total Cost|
Parts Needed for a water pump replacement
|Part Name||Required?||All Models?|
|Water Pump Gasket||Yes||Yes|
|Timing belt pulleys||Optional||No|
|Serpentine belt pulleys||Optional||No|
|Replacement Type||Price Range|
|Timing Belt Replacement Cost||400$ – 1500$|
|Timing Chain Replacement Cost||500$ – 2000$|
|Coolant Replacement||50$ to 150$|
|Serpentine Belt Replacement||50$ to 200$|
A Mechanic’s Tips about water pump replacement
- Always fill up your car with a new coolant after the water pump replacement if you haven’t changed it for a while.
- If your water pump is driven by the timing belt or timing chain, it may be a good time to replace them. If you do so, I recommend replacing all necessary parts at the same time.
- Ensure that you bleed your coolant system after the water pump replacement or your car might overheat and get damaged. I do recommend using a vacuum coolant bleeder.
What is a water pump?
The water pump is driven by either the serpentine belt, timing belt, or the timing chain. It is pumping water from the engine to the coolant in the front of your car to keep your engine at a steady temperature.
How serious is a water pump failure?
A water pump failure is hazardous for your engine. If your water pump does not function properly, it can cause your engine to overheat and seize up. It is especially dangerous if your water pump is driven by the timing belt or timing chain.
How often do water pumps need replacement?
This depends on your car model. Most car models do not have a special replacement schedule for the water pump. If your water pump is driven by the timing belt or timing chain, it should often be replaced at the same time as your timing belt or chain.
What are the symptoms of a bad water pump?
The most common signs of a bad water pump are coolant leaks or a high noise from your car engine. Learn more about the symptoms of a bad water pump.
OBD codes associated with a water pump replacement
|P2181: Cooling System Performance|
|P0217: Engine Overheat Condition|