The average replacement cost of a wheel bearing is between 150$ to 500$
- The average price for parts is 50$ to 200$
- The average labor cost is 100$ to 300$
- You may need some special tools to replace wheel bearings yourself.
- The replacement of the wheel bearing replacement differs between the front or rear axle.
- If your car model does not have separate wheel bearings, you may have to replace the whole wheel hub, and ABS sensor, which increases the part costs a lot.
Average Wheel Bearing Replacement Cost
|Front Wheel Bearing||Low: 200$||Average: 300$||High: 600$|
|Rear Wheel Bearing||Low: 150$||Average: 250$||High: 500$|
Estimated Wheel Bearing Replacement Cost by Car Model
These are the average estimated replacement cost by car model. The wheel bearing replacement cost price can also differ depending on your engine type and year model.
|Car Model||Rear Cost||Front Cost|
Parts Needed for a Wheel Bearing replacement
|Part Name||Required?||All Models?|
|ABS Sensor||In some cases||No|
|New Control arm bolts||Prefered||No|
|Copper or Silver Paste||Prefered||Yes|
|New bolts to the wheel bearing||Prefered||No|
|Replacement Type||Price Range|
|ABS Sensor Replacement Cost||100$ – 150$|
|Front Wheel Hub Replacement Cost||100$ – 400$|
|Rear Wheel Hub Replacement Cost||100$ to 350$|
|CV Joint Replacement Cost||150$ to 300$|
A Mechanic’s Tips about Wheel Bearing replacement
- Always make sure that you have the right tools for the job before starting the procedure. Some wheel bearing replacements needs a press tool. You do also need the right adapters to make sure you are not pressing on the bearings.
- Replace all necessary bolts like bolts for control arms, driveshaft nut, and other bolts you remove on the way.
- Wheel bearings can be difficult to diagnose, so make sure you replace the right wheel bearing. Lift the car and turn the wheel to listen for any strange noises around it.
- Do not forget to lubricate all parts before installing everything together again. You will thank yourself the next time you replace something in the suspension the next time.
What is a Wheel Bearing?
The wheel bearing helps your wheel turn efficiently without causing any friction. There are different wheel bearings, including ball bearings and roller bearings, depending on your car model.
How serious is a Wheel Bearing failure?
A very worn wheel bearing can result in a car that won’t move at all. A bad wheel bearing will also create a lot of heat while driving, which can cause other parts to take damage from it.
How often do Wheel Bearings need replacement?
There is no specified schedule for when wheel bearings should be replaced. Wheel bearings should be replaced when you start hearing bad sounds from them. The replacement time can differ a lot, and in some cars, you do never have to replace the wheel bearings in the car’s whole lifetime.
What are the symptoms of a bad Wheel Bearing?
The most common symptoms of a bad wheel bearing are grinding or grating noises, uneven tire wear, play in the wheel, and stability problems. Learn more about the symptoms here: Bad Wheel bearing symptoms.
OBD codes associated with a Wheel Bearing replacement
|C0226 – Left Front Wheel Speed Signal Missing|
|C0040 – Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction|
|C0227 – Left Front Wheel Speed Signal Erratic|
|C0223 – Right Front Wheel Speed Signal Erratic|