The average brake rotor replacement cost is between $200 and $600, depending on the car model and labor costs. The average price for parts is $150 to $400 and the average labor cost is $50 to $200
- It is recommended to replace other parts at the same time as the brake rotors, like the brake pads, for example.
- The replacement cost of brake rotors differs between the front or rear axle.
Average Brake Rotor Replacement Cost
|Front Brake Rotors||Low: $200||Average: $400||High: $600|
|Rear Brake Rotors||Low: $150||Average: $300||High: $500|
Brake Rotor Replacement Cost by Car Model
These are the average brake rotor replacement cost by car model and year model. Different car models have different brakes by different engine types. The price can differ depending on your engine type and year model.
|Car Model||Rear Rotors (If Equipped)||Front Rotors||All Rotors|
Parts Needed for a Brake Rotor replacement
|Part Name||Required?||All Models?||Where?|
|New Gliding Plates||Prefered||No||Both|
|Copper or Silver Paste||Prefered||Yes||Both|
|Parking Brake Shoes||Optional||No||Rear|
|Parking Brake Springs Kit||Optional||No||Rear|
|Parking Brake Cables||Optional||No||Rear|
|Brake Caliper Renovation kit||Optional||Yes||Both|
|Replacement Type||Price Range|
|Brake Pads Replacement Cost||$100 – $150|
|Parking Brake shoe Replacement Cost||$100 – $300|
|Parking Brake Cables Replacement Cost||$100 to $250|
|Brake Caliper Replacement Cost||$150 to $400|
A Mechanic’s Tips about Brake Rotor replacement
- Always replace the brake pads at the same time as brake rotor replacement.
- Ensure that the brake caliper gliding pins, brake caliper piston, and brake pads are moving freely when you are putting everything together.
- If you are replacing the rear brake rotors, the parking brake shoes sometimes use the brake disc’s inner side as a friction area. If this is the case with your car model, you want to consider replacing the parking brake shoes simultaneously.
- If replacing the rear brake rotors – always make sure that the parking brake cables are moving freely.
- Some brake rotor replacement requires new gliding pins, e-brake parts so make sure you count on all these parts when calculating the brake rotor replacement cost.
What is a Brake Rotor?
A brake rotor is one of the most important parts of your brakes in the car. The brake caliper pushes the brake pads towards the brake rotor. This creates high friction, which then, in return, helps you stop your car fast and safely.
How serious is a Brake Rotor failure?
Brake rotor failures should be taken very seriously. With a failed brake rotor, you may lose all brakes on your car, and it may cause a serious accident and maybe even death. Replace the brake discs if they are bad, and do never take any risks regarding the brakes.
How often do Brake Rotors need replacement?
The timeframe of brake rotors replacement depends heavily on your car model and your driving type. In most car models, it is recommended to replace the brake discs with brake pads replacements. But if you drive aggressively, you might need to replace the brake rotors every time you replace the brake pads.
How do you know if you have a bad or worn Brake Rotor?
The most common symptoms of bad brake rotors are squealing noises, shaking steering wheel when braking, and less effective brakes. Learn more about the symptoms here: Symptoms of bad brake rotors.
OBD codes associated with a Brake Rotor replacement
|5F12: DSC Brake pad wear – front axle|
|5F15 DSC Brake pad wear – rear axle|