Regular cleaning of your car is essential to remove dirt and other deposits that would have formed on the surface of the car.
If you don’t wash your car regularly, some of the stains will become permanent. It is easier to clean your car after you have waxed it well. In some cases, you may not have the time for regular cleaning, which may make it necessary to take your car to the car wash.
A tip is a good way to show appreciation to the companion who has just cleaned your car. The amounts vary between 5 and 10 dollars. The tip depends largely on the quality of service at the cleaning station.
It is not obligatory to tip, but it is something you do out of generosity and to encourage the staff to love their work.
Recommended Amount to tip:
- Economy car: The amount of the tip depends on the type of service you received at the car wash. Economy cars are small and a tip of $2 is fine. This is given for a basic wash with foamed water and drying with a cloth. If you choose to do both washing and vacuuming inside the car, a $3 tip would be appropriate.
- SUVs and vans: These tend to be bigger, so more work needs to be done. The bigger the car, the better the tip. A tip of $4 to $5 would be appropriate, depending on whether you want the car to be washed and vacuumed.
- Full service: If you get full service at the car wash, which includes cleaning, vacuuming, cleaning under the hood, waxing, and polishing, the amount you pay may be higher. You may tip around 10% of the total service charge. If you spend more than $100 on the car wash, a $10 tip would be appropriate.
Difference between car waxing and polishing
Many people cannot tell the difference between car polish, waxing, and vacuuming the car. Some car washes simply wash your car with soapy water and let it dry with a damp cloth.
The outside of the car consists of different layers. By polishing the car, the very fine top layer is removed. The polishing materials contain abrasives that are able to remove the top layer or react with it. The purpose of polishing is to remove dirt that might be hidden in the fine layers of the outer shell.
Its gloss is hindered by oxidation, and polishing gives it a good, smooth shine. In addition, car polishing helps to preserve the car paint so that it lasts longer.
When you have finished polishing the car, you still have to wax it well. Waxing applies a thin layer over your car, which protects the paint from oxidation and UV light. UV light is responsible for the fading of the colours and yellowing of the car due to oxidation.
A car that has been waxed is usually easy to clean. One of the most commonly used materials for waxing is carnauba wax. The wax is recommended because it has a high melting point and is insoluble in water. This means that it is not affected by water during washing.
Waxing a car helps to remove small scratches on the upper part of the paint layer. It protects your car from dirt and grime. Some of the waxing agents on the market have the ability to make a car look as if it came out of the showroom.
Types of car washes
There are different types of car washes. In this section we will analyze some of them and the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
You have probably seen this in some major cities. They put your car in a stand with a conveyor belt, and then the car is driven into a tunnel, or it has high-performance brushes that clean your car well. The systems apply soapy water to your car, scrap it, and then blow it dry. During all this time, your car is in neutral. The car is clean in no time.
- Great car wash if you’re in a hurry
- Some of the high powered brushes may destroy your paint
This works in a similar way to the automatic washing service stations, with the main difference that the cleaning service uses high-powered water jets with cleaning chemicals instead of high-performance brushes. The car is put in neutral and then driven through a tunnel by way of conveyor belts.
- In contrast to high-performance brushes, the water jets do not destroy your car paint
- Does not leave your car sparkling clean
This is the most common form of car wash and the oldest. You pour some soapy water into a bucket and then rinse the soap with a water hose. It takes some time to get the car spick and span, and this makes it necessary to wash it when you have plenty of time.
If you live in a place where there are no automatic washing stations, then this is the best option.
The amount you pay for cleaning depends on the extras and attention to detail. If your car is not so dirty, you can choose to clean only the exterior, but if you have just returned from a dusty drive, you can also choose to have the interior and exterior cleaned.
The exterior requires engine cleaning. After washing your car you can polish and wax it afterward.
There is no official policy on how much one tips at a car wash. Tipping the service staff is a form of recognition for the good work they have done. It helps them to do their job with a smile on their face. Most of the time, people who use small cars tip $4 and $5, depending on the work done on the car. For larger trucks and SUVs, the tip ranges from $10 to $20.